Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Linux, the beligerent OS.

Now might be a good time to point out that we chose to run MySQL for our DBMS. Why? Because its free! When you are starting up and you can barely find two dimes to rub together why would you spend a lot of money on something like MS SQL Server? I tell ya why, because you did a lot of research on which one would work the best for you. You tracked down all those little features that make your database much faster and you ran some tests to see which one performed the best. Or failing the large lab with two machines and two databases to test with you just read the analysis posted on the various websites and made a decision based on that, weighted heavily by the fact that FREE means you can afford to attend that Hat convention in July you had your heart set on. While at it, maybe I should consider not writing so many run-on sentances.

I bike to work because gas is expensive. Im that frugal.

But in choosing to run Linux one gets a lvoely bunch of coconuts filled with creamy problems all their own. At least with Linux I am able to look under the hood and get my hands greasy, so to speak.

[root@skc mnt]# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /home type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
//192.168.0.2/backup on /mnt/samba type cifs (rw,mand)

[root@skc mnt]# umount.cifs /mnt/samba/
This utility only unmounts cifs filesystems.

I like that one. So... I mounted a Windows Vista machine, and I cannot unmount it. When I check the mountpoint, nothing is there, because it actually is unmounted. When I look at mount's output, it says it is still mounted.

Interesting eh?

These are the fun types of issues I can file under "Ignore these, they arent really hurting anything." and that migth come back and require me to file them again under "This caused the server to burst in to flames at 3am, and arent you glad the coffee stand is still open at this hour?"

No comments: